Equality and Diversity
This section describes how Tandridge Learning Trust intends to fulfil its responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010 and compliance with the Public Sector Equality Duty. Tandridge Learning Trust is committed to ensuring equality of education and opportunity for all students, staff, parents, and carers, with a particular focus on those who share a protected characteristic. One of the core values of the Trust is ‘equity’ and the aim is to continue to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected with the Trust feel proud of their identity and able to participate fully.
The Public Sector Equality Duty requires our Trust to publish information specifically for the following groups:
- Sexual orientation
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Marriage and civil partnership
The three general aims of the Public Sector Equality Duty are to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
To meet these general duties, we will deliver on the specific duties outlined below and have developed an action plan to ensure our equality objectives are being met. Through constant review and action, we will ensure that our equality objectives remain a priority and continue to be relevant.
All significant changes in policy and practice will undergo an equality impact assessment and key stakeholders will be consulted.
There are two specific requirements of the Public Sector Equality Duty, and they are to:
- Set equality objectives
- Publish information – student and employee evaluation of performance to inform future actions and objectives for equality.
Each school in the Trust has their own equality objectives, dependent on their current demographics, plus evaluation and analysis of pupil and employee information on performance.
As a Trust our objectives are to:
- Promote inclusion, so it is a common thread that runs through all activities in all settings.
- Develop and improve our understanding and knowledge of anti-discriminatory practice, ensuring equality and valuing diversity.
- Prepare children for life in a diverse and culturally rich society in which children can see their own value and the value of others in the wider community.
- Develop and embed appropriate assessment tools, systems and methods of engagement to ensure the needs of all pupils and staff are fully identified and supported by the Trust.
Tandridge Learning Trust is committed to achieving these objectives with equality and diversity an important priority for the Trust.